Choosing the SMTP Discovery method to add customer accounts will require a certain amount of on-going management attention and administration to ensure accounts are up to date and license balances are accurate.
To make this process more manageable for you we have added the ability for partners to set the following specifications:
- Choose what Sentinel Messaging should do with newly discovered addresses.
- Decide how we should manage these new addresses for you.
- Stipulate what notifications we should send.
Please configure these new options for your entire user-base or on a per-customer basis and make the changes as soon as possible. The new settings will not take effect until the options are fully configured, otherwise the current SMTP settings will remain active or the defaults will become activated.
*At Sentinel Messaging we continue to recommend LDAP (Active Directory) as the preferred option for adding new customer accounts as it’s the most accurate and requires minimal on-going management (set and forget) as it updates automatically itself every 24hours.
Where LDAP is not possible however please configure the following options for SMTP discovery.Please note, the SMTP Discovery process executes 4 times a day, so you may see some delay in discovered addresses appearing in the interface.
SMTP Discovery settings
These settings will allow you to specify what Sentinel Messaging should do with newly discovered addresses, choose how we manage these and stipulate what notifications we should send.
- Default New User Privileges: Select the default user type, Silent Users will not receive Welcome emails or be able to log on to the interface, End Users will have both.
- Inbound Detection Threshold: Select how many clean emails Sentinel Messaging must detect before the email address appears on the SMTP discovery list.
- How many times would you like to be notified about an address…: Choose the number of weekly SMTP Discovery report notifications you would like to receive before the email address expires from the SMTP discovery list.
- Expired Addresses Default to New User: Selecting this option enables you to specify that any email address which has expired from the SMTP discovery list is added as a new user rather than being marked as invalid. NB. An invalid address will no longer receive email.
- Auto-add Detected Alias Addresses: Select this option to allow SMTP Discovery to add detected alias addresses automatically. NB. Sentinel Messaging has logic in place to help us deduce as far as possible an alias address for a user e.g. firstname.lastname@example.org could be an alias of email@example.com. However a less obvious alias should be added manually to avoid being misconstrued as a user and the associated licensing implications.
- Auto-add New Users Detected via Outbound: You can select this option if you wish SMTP Discovery to automatically add to the system any new address which is detected as sending outbound email.
- Report On New Users: Select this option if you wish for Sentinel Messaging to send a confirmation to the technical and/or admin contact, notifying them that a new user has been added by SMTP Discovery.
- Report On New Aliases: Selecting this option will prompt Sentinel Messaging to send out a confirmation to the technical and/or admin contact associated with an account, notifying them that an alias address has been added by SMTP Discovery.
- Include Admin Contact in the Report: Select this option if you require the Admin Contact to be sent the Report as well as the Tech contact.
Remember to hit Save at the bottom. The changes will take effect immediately.
1. Expired Addresses Default to New User requires that a company’s org admin agree to this by a pop-up statement. This agreement may have billing implications.